Thyroid problems 'could increase risk of developing anxiety'
People with thyroid problems could be at a significant risk of developing anxiety.People with thyroid problems could be at a significant risk of developing anxiety.Researchers from the Kyiv City Clinical Hospital, Ukraine, discovered that patients with autoimmune inflammation of their thyroid had a high chance of anxiety disorders.
They further found that people with anxiety had undiagnosed thyroid conditions, and the scientists have pointed to mental wellbeing as playing a vital role in thyroid inflammation.
The thyroid gland is a small gland in the neck, and produces hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) which are essential for regulating heart, muscle and digestive function, and brain development.
And thyroid problems, including inflammation, occur when the body wrongly produces antibodies that attack the gland.
Almost 60 people were analysed in the study – 29 men and 27 women – that had all been diagnosed with anxiety, and were experiencing panic attacks.
After undergoing ultrasounds of their thyroid glands, the patients with anxiety showed signs of inflammation, and were subsequently treated with ibuprofen and thyroxine to reduce their thyroid hormone levels and anxiety.
"These findings indicate that the endocrine system may play an important role in anxiety. Doctors should also consider the thyroid gland and the rest of the endocrine system, as well as the nervous system, when examining patients with anxiety," Dr Juliya Onofriichuk explained.
She urged for more research into the findings, and wants the study to help doctors effectively treat patients and improve their thyroid function, which could have a long-term positive effect on their mental health.
Reference: Cover Media: 16 hrs ago: 07/09/2020
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
Who's On Line?
We have 54 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- Doctors develop urine test that can tell you if your diet is healthy in five minutes
- Parents' fury as 'thousands' of kids out of school unable to get Covid-19 tests
- 'Why wait for it?' How to predict a pandemic
- The Serpent And The Rainbow-The Frontier of Death - 2
- The Children of the Sun- Asia - 3
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our people-2 - King Leopold's Ghost
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our People - King Leopold's Ghost
- China approves 1st human trials for COVID-19 nasal spray vaccine
- Coronavirus antibodies fade after only a month, study shows
- Mum-of-two still can't walk or play with children five months after recovering from coronavirus