Coronavirus antibodies fade after only a month, study shows
Coronavirus antibodies fade after only a month, a new study has revealed, in what could signal a blow to worldwide hopes of finding a vaccine.Coronavirus antibodies fade after only a month, a new study has revealed, in what could signal a blow to worldwide hopes of finding a vaccine.
Understanding antibody responses against Covid-19 is fundamental for the development of effective treatments and a preventive vaccine, experts say.
And if antibodies decline overtime it could suggest immunity from a potential vaccine would also fade, rendering it less effective or require boosters.In this latest study, researchers from Nanjing University Medical School in China monitored Covid-19 antibody responses in 19 non-severe and seven severe coronavirus patients for seven weeks from disease onset.
They found that most patients generated antibody responses against the virus.But only a small portion produced a potent level of antibody neutralisation activity and around one in five (20 per cent) produced no antibody response at all.
The study, published in PLOS Pathogens, also indicated that three to four weeks after hospital discharge, the neutralising activity of antibodies from recovered patients declined significantly.The authors said: "Understanding the adaptive responses where the body makes antibodies that specifically bind to the Sars-CoV-2 among Covid-19 patients provides fundamental information for developing effective treatment and preventive vaccine."
A previous study by King's College London found 60 per cent of the 96 people studied had a “potent” Covid-19 antibody response at the height of their infection, falling to just 17 per cent three months later.
Commenting on these latest findings, Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London, said: "Studies like this are a vital part of the 'work-in-progress' to make sense of who has immunity and how long for… "Once again, evidence shows that the half-life of these antibodies in the blood is not particularly sustained.”
Reference: Lizzie Roberts 7 hrs ago: 10/09/2020
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
Who's On Line?
We have 30 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- Doctors develop urine test that can tell you if your diet is healthy in five minutes
- Parents' fury as 'thousands' of kids out of school unable to get Covid-19 tests
- 'Why wait for it?' How to predict a pandemic
- The Serpent And The Rainbow-The Frontier of Death - 2
- The Children of the Sun- Asia - 3
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our people-2 - King Leopold's Ghost
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our People - King Leopold's Ghost
- China approves 1st human trials for COVID-19 nasal spray vaccine
- Coronavirus antibodies fade after only a month, study shows
- Mum-of-two still can't walk or play with children five months after recovering from coronavirus