Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton say they will get vaccine on live TV
It comes as US deaths from the pandemic have surged past 2,000 for two days in a row and President-elect Joe Biden warned of a “dark winter” trying to fight the virus.
The toll from Covid-19 reached its second-highest level ever on Wednesday with 2,811 lives lost, one short of the record from April 15.
Mr Bush's Chief of Staff Freddy Ford told CNN that the former Republican President would take the vaccine once it had been administered to those populations that need it most.
"First, the vaccines need to be deemed safe and administered to the priority populations", he said.
"Then, President Bush will get in line for his, and will gladly do so on camera."
Mr Clinton's press secretary then told CNN that the former Democrat President would also be happy to take the vaccine on camera.
Meanwhile, Barack Obama told SiriusXM that he trusted Anthony Fauci "completely" and that he "may end up taking it on TV.
"People like Anthony Fauci, who I know, and I've worked with, I trust completely", he said.
"So, if Anthony Fauci tells me this vaccine is safe, and can vaccinate, you know, immunise you from getting Covid, absolutely, I'm going to take it."
Nearly 200,000 new US cases were reported on Wednesday, with record hospitalisations approaching 100,000 patients.
The sobering data came as the head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday warned that December, January and February were likely to be "the most difficult time in the public health history of this nation."
CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told an event hosted by the US Chamber of Commerce that the United States could start losing around 3,000 people - roughly the number that died in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 - each day over the next two months.
"The mortality concerns are real and I do think unfortunately before we see February, we could be close to 450,000 Americans that have died from this virus," Redfield said. The US death toll since the start of the pandemic stands at around 273,000.
Reference:Evening Standard: Luke O'Reilly
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Children of the Sun-3
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
Who's On Line?
We have 30 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- Side effects from second covid shot 'knocked out' Dr Fauci for 24 hrs
- Biden says vaccine rollout has been a 'dismal failure' and urges Americans to wear a mask for 99 days
- Vaccine appointments delayed due to supply issues in Matt Hancock's own seat
- Coronavirus antibodies provide some immunity for at least five months, scientists say
- COVID-19 deaths prompt call for two weeks' paid bereavement leave
- 'We are concerned': UK 'taking steps' over COVID variant detected in Brazil
- Covid: Britons arriving from UAE must self-isolate after travel corridor removed
- Israel shames Britain with round-the-clock vaccination programme
- Hospital patients to be sent to hotels to free up beds for critical Covid patients
- Government inefficiency risks undermining Covid vaccination programme
- Mexico publishes medicinal cannabis regulation, creating new market
- Johnson calls emergency meeting on new virus strain, reports say
- MACRON WORKING SLOWER BUT DOING FINE AFTER CATCHING COVID-19
- WHO: Vaccine program gets access to nearly 2 billion doses
- '100 million shots in the first 100 days': Biden's promise to turn tide against coronavirus
- People won't have COVID vaccine choice in first months of rollout - English medical officer
- Vaccine will 'substantially reduce deaths' - and UK will have up to four jabs to use by mid-2021