Carer jailed for six months after being caught on CCTV abusing dementia sufferer
Jenny Dady, 29, was caught on camera mistreating 69-year-old Liz Youngs, including forcing her to eat, pulling her hair and pulling her up by her nose. She was also verbally abusive and used her mobile phone constantly while she was meant to be caring for her patient.
Norfolk Constabulary said Youngs’ daughter Corrina Cunningham, who was living with her in Barford, Norfolk, noticed minor injuries on her mother in the summer of 2019, including bruising and blisters.
Her concerns prompted them to record footage on a CCTV camera that was already in her mother’s room.
When they viewed the distressing footage in November, it became apparent Dady had been mistreating her patient — who suffered with severe dementia and had limited mobility — and the police were contacted.
Dady, of Furze Road, Norwich, pleaded guilty to ill-treatment or neglect of a person who lacks capacity in December and was jailed for six months at Norwich Crown Court last week. She was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £122.
Detective Constable Gemma Weeks, from Norfolk Constabulary’s Adult Abuse Investigation Unit, who led the investigation, said: “Dady was in a position of trust and left to care for an extremely vulnerable woman who had no means of protecting herself or raising the alarm to relatives.
“She abused this trust, treating Liz with little care; handling her roughly by pushing and pulling her.
“On one occasion after a shower, Liz was left for almost 30 minutes in her wheelchair with wet hair and just a towel covering her lap.
“Many incidents were captured on CCTV which makes for very unpleasant viewing. No one would want their loved ones treated in this way, particularly those who are vulnerable and have limited capacity, which is why it’s important we seek justice in these cases for the victims and their families.”
Youngs’ daughter added: “Sadly, mum passed away during the investigation, which makes it so much harder to come to terms with, knowing that she was poorly treated in the last year of her life.
“I was mortified when I found out this had been happening. I felt guilty for not being able to protect her when she needed it and that this had happened under our own roof.
“We trusted Jenny and thought she genuinely cared for mum but she betrayed this trust in the worst possible way.
“I found it really difficult to watch the footage, it made me feel physically sick. I couldn’t bear the thought of Jenny being in a position to care for other people’s loved ones and abuse them in the way she did my mum.
“I’m glad we acted on our concerns and got the camera and I would encourage anyone in a similar position to do the same.”
Reference: Yahoo: Ellen Manning
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Children of the Sun-3
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
Who's On Line?
We have 25 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- Faecal transplants could help patients with form of skin cancer
- What Russia's Sputnik V vaccine means for the UK
- Rare double transplant gives man new face and two hands
- First haemophiliac with Aids in UK died without realising he had it
- Kent variant mutating to mimic South African strain - and scientists warn it may already be endemic
- Tony Bennett, 94, reveals Alzheimer's Disease diagnosis
- Spanish study describes ‘Covid tongue’ as coronavirus symptom
- Vaccine skepticism lurks in town famous for syphilis study
- India doubles long-neglected healthcare spending and sets aside £3.5bn for Covid vaccines as it eyes recovery
- ‘Covid denier’ Gary Matthews dies from the virus alone day after testing positive
- Captain Tom Moore, 100, in hospital as he battles coronavirus and pneumonia
- Hidden camera footage shows care workers drag distressed dementia sufferer across room
- 60% Indians still hesitant towards Covid-19 vaccine, shows survey
- Scientists develop ultrafast laser system to remove cancers more precisely
- Covid news – live: Hotel quarantine plans set to be approved as Hancock warns NHS ‘stretched to limit’
- Carer jailed for six months after being caught on CCTV abusing dementia sufferer
- Grandmother, 92, dies with Covid-19 five days after her first vaccine