Covid news – live: Hotel quarantine plans set to be appk warns NHS ‘stretched to limit’
Boris Johnson is expected to approve plans to force some travellers arriving to the UK to quarantine in hotels to limit the spread of new coronavirus variants.
The prime minister will discuss the proposals with senior ministers onTuesday before a final decision is made at a meeting of the Covid-O meeting.
Various options are said to be on the table, but Whitehall sources suggested ministers may opt for a more limited system after aviation leaders warned introducing tougher border rules would be "catastrophic" for the industry.
The officials said a less sweeping option would apply only to British residents returning from countries with more contagious variants - such as Brazil, South Africa and Portugal.
It comes after health secretary Matt Hancock warned the NHS is “stretched to the limit” as the number of coronavirus patients in intensive care and on ventilation has reached the highest level of the pandemic so far.
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Children of the Sun-3
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
Who's On Line?
We have 35 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- Faecal transplants could help patients with form of skin cancer
- What Russia's Sputnik V vaccine means for the UK
- Rare double transplant gives man new face and two hands
- First haemophiliac with Aids in UK died without realising he had it
- Kent variant mutating to mimic South African strain - and scientists warn it may already be endemic
- Tony Bennett, 94, reveals Alzheimer's Disease diagnosis
- Spanish study describes ‘Covid tongue’ as coronavirus symptom
- Vaccine skepticism lurks in town famous for syphilis study
- India doubles long-neglected healthcare spending and sets aside £3.5bn for Covid vaccines as it eyes recovery
- ‘Covid denier’ Gary Matthews dies from the virus alone day after testing positive
- Captain Tom Moore, 100, in hospital as he battles coronavirus and pneumonia
- Hidden camera footage shows care workers drag distressed dementia sufferer across room
- 60% Indians still hesitant towards Covid-19 vaccine, shows survey
- Scientists develop ultrafast laser system to remove cancers more precisely
- Covid news – live: Hotel quarantine plans set to be approved as Hancock warns NHS ‘stretched to limit’
- Carer jailed for six months after being caught on CCTV abusing dementia sufferer
- Grandmother, 92, dies with Covid-19 five days after her first vaccine