Covid outbreak aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth strikes down 100 sailors
A Covid outbreak on the Royal Navy’s Carrier Strike Group has struck down around 100 sailors.
Four of the nine ships, including HMS Queen Elizabeth, Britain’s new aircraft carrier, have been affected.
The Telegraph understands no service personnel aboard USS The Sullivans, a destroyer from the US Navy, or HNLMS Evertsen, a Dutch frigate, have been taken ill.
The MoD said “routine testing” of personnel had picked up a number of positive Covid results but that all personnel had received two doses of vaccine.
A spokesperson said: “The Carrier Strike Group will continue to deliver their operational tasks and there are no effects on the deployment.”
An investigation is under way to determine the source of the outbreaks, but it is considered likely at least one sailor returning to duty from a recent period of shore leave in Cyprus is responsible.
Military sources told the Telegraph such scenarios had been anticipated and mitigation measures were in place to ensure safe isolation, and for routine activity on the ships to continue.
HMS Diamond forced back to port
The Carrier Strike Group has just transited the Suez Canal and is currently in the Gulf of Aden on its 27,000 nautical mile passage to Japan and back.
HMS Diamond, a Type-45 destroyer, has been forced to return to Italy for essential maintenance having suffered engine difficulties, but is travelling under her own power.
The Royal Navy’s fleet of six Type-45 destroyers have been beset by technical difficulties since they were brought into service.
The MoD said HMS Diamond’s mechanical problems were thought to be linked to the propulsion system.
A Royal Navy spokesman said: “The UK Carrier Strike Group continues with global operations and has transited through the Suez Canal with a defensive ring of highly capable ships drawn from the Royal Navy and its closest partners.
“HMS Diamond has experienced some technical issues and has detached from the Task Group for maintenance, inspection and any necessary repairs. She is expected to re-join the Task Group.”
Reference: The Telegraph: Dominic Nicholls
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
Who's On Line?
We have 43 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- Autism: What is it and what are the signs that someone might have it?
- Tokyo 2020: What are the dark circles on the swimmers’ backs?
- England to scrap quarantine for fully vaccinated EU and US citizens from Aug 2
- Third of people now have serious health problems by 40s - see list of most common issues
- Ronaldo's sister is in hospital with pneumonia after catching Covid
- Deaf woman wins legal fight over sign language in Covid briefings
- NHS trust tells staff white privilege is 'going on night out and not being worried you won't get in'
- 'My husband had a bleed on the brain at 33 years old and now can't speak properly'
- Hillsong Church member, 34, dies of Covid after publicly speaking out against vaccine
- 'Superbug' fungus resistant to major drugs is found in two cities
- India reports more than 4,300 deaths from Covid-linked ‘black fungus’ infection
- Heatstroke symptoms and treatment: The signs you need to know
- 3% pay rise for NHS staff in England attacked as 'paltry, appalling and shambolic'
- Pfizer vaccine linked to Bell’s palsy after man suffers facial paralysis
- Mark Hoppus has stage 4 lymphoma
- DR ELLIE CANNON: Cramp in my calf is spreading - I blame statins
- Double jabbed: How common is it to test positive after having both vaccines?