Deaths from drug overdoses rose to record 93,000 in 2020 during pandemic
A record 93,000 people died of drug overdoses last year as the country continues to struggle with its ongoing opioid crisis amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The record number reported by the US government on Wednesday shows a dramatic increase of more than 21,000 deaths since 2019, when there was 72,000 recorded drug overdose deaths, marking a 29 per cent increase.
Experts have said that the ongoing public health crisis has “exacerbated” underlying issues, making it harder for those struggling with addiction to access help.
“This is a staggering loss of human life,” Brandon Marshall, a Brown University public health researcher who tracks overdose trends, told the Associated Press.
Health experts have said that the prolonged lockdown amid the pandemic alongside a reduction in services has isolated those with drug addictions.
“The pandemic has led to increased substance use across the board,” Kimberly Sue, medical director of the National Harm Reduction Coalition, an advocacy group that tries to prevent overdose deaths, told The Washington Post.
Ms Sue says people have turned to drugs as they “sought to manage stress, isolation, boredom, anxiety, depression, unemployment, relationship and child care issues, and housing instability”.
However, Shannon Monnat, an associate professor of sociology at Syracuse University, noted to the AP that what she believes to be behind the surge is people who had already been struggling with addiction.
The US opioid crisis began in the 1990s with the release of powerful new prescription drugs to treat chronic pain, which were replaced by heroin following regulations on their use in 2012 and then by fentanyl, a dangerously powerful opioid.
Fentanyl was developed to treat intense pain from ailments like cancer but has increasingly been sold illicitly and mixed with other drugs.
“What’s really driving the surge in overdoses is this increasingly poisoned drug supply,” Prof Monnat said. “Nearly all of this increase is fentanyl contamination in some way. Heroin is contaminated. Cocaine is contaminated. Methamphetamine is contaminated.”
The 21,000 increase between 2019 and 2020 is the biggest year-to-year jump since the count rose by 11,000 in 2016.
“Every one of those people, somebody loved them,” Keith Humphreys, a psychiatry professor at Stanford University and an expert on addiction and drug policy, told The Post.
“It’s terrifying. It’s the biggest increase in overdose deaths in the history of the United States, it’s the worst overdose crisis in the history of the United States, and we’re not making progress. It’s really overwhelming.”
As a result of the hundreds of thousands of additional deaths due to the pandemic, the nation saw its most deadly year in its history across 2020, the Associated Press reported.
Additional reporting by the Associated Press: Reference: Independent: Louise Hall
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
Who's On Line?
We have 56 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- Autism: What is it and what are the signs that someone might have it?
- Tokyo 2020: What are the dark circles on the swimmers’ backs?
- England to scrap quarantine for fully vaccinated EU and US citizens from Aug 2
- Third of people now have serious health problems by 40s - see list of most common issues
- Ronaldo's sister is in hospital with pneumonia after catching Covid
- Deaf woman wins legal fight over sign language in Covid briefings
- NHS trust tells staff white privilege is 'going on night out and not being worried you won't get in'
- 'My husband had a bleed on the brain at 33 years old and now can't speak properly'
- Hillsong Church member, 34, dies of Covid after publicly speaking out against vaccine
- 'Superbug' fungus resistant to major drugs is found in two cities
- India reports more than 4,300 deaths from Covid-linked ‘black fungus’ infection
- Heatstroke symptoms and treatment: The signs you need to know
- 3% pay rise for NHS staff in England attacked as 'paltry, appalling and shambolic'
- Pfizer vaccine linked to Bell’s palsy after man suffers facial paralysis
- Mark Hoppus has stage 4 lymphoma
- DR ELLIE CANNON: Cramp in my calf is spreading - I blame statins
- Double jabbed: How common is it to test positive after having both vaccines?