New Covid-19 pill in Germany exceeds all expectations
A new experimental Covid-19 pill reduced stays in hospital and deaths by half, according to German multinational science and technology company Merck.
In fact, an independent group of medical experts that monitored the trial recommended stopping it early because the interim results were so strong, beating all expectations.
The company said today it would soon ask health officials around the world to authorise its use.
If cleared, Merck’s drug would be the first pill shown to treat Covid-19, a potentially major advance in efforts to fight the pandemic.
Merck and its partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics said early results showed patients who received the drug, called molnupiravir, within five days of Covid-19 symptoms had about half the rate of stays in hospital and death as patients who received a dummy pill.Human trial
The study tracked 775 adults with mild-to-moderate Covid-19 who were considered higher risk for severe disease due to health problems such as obesity, diabetes or heart disease.
Among patients taking molnupiravir, 7.3 per cent were either admitted to hospital or died at the end of 30 days, compared with 14.1 per cent of those getting the dummy pill.
There were no deaths in the drug group after that time period compared with eight deaths in the placebo group, according to Merck.
The results were released by the company and have not been peer reviewed. Merck said it plans to present them at a future medical meeting.
Interim results so strong
An independent group of medical experts monitoring the trial recommended stopping it early because the interim results were so strong.
“It exceeded what I thought the drug might be able to do in this clinical trial,” said Dr Dean Li, vice president of Merck research.
When you see a 50 per cent reduction in hospitalization or death that’s a substantial clinical impact.
Side effects were reported by both groups in the Merck trial, but they were slightly more common among the group that received a dummy pill. The company did not specify the problems.
Earlier study results showed the drug did not benefit patients who were already in hospital with severe disease.
Health experts including the US infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci have long called for a convenient pill that patients could take when Covid-19 symptoms first appear. Such medications are seen as key to controlling future waves of infection and reducing the impact of the pandemic.
Merck’s pill works by interfering with an enzyme the coronavirus uses to copy its genetic code and reproduce itself. It has shown similar activity against other viruses.
Several other companies, including Pfizer and Roche, are studying similar drugs that could report results in the coming weeks and months.Germany company says experimental pill cuts worst effects of Covid-19.
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Children of the Sun-3
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 44 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- Tuberculosis deaths rise for first time in over a decade due to impact of Covid pandemic, says WHO
- Woman denied liver transplant because she refuses Covid vaccine
- Everything you need to know about urinary tract infections in old age
- New treatment destroys head and neck cancer tumours in trial
- Vitamin D deficiency: The surprising supplement that could stave off the condition
- Tolerance of cannabis is growing just as scientists show that it can cause insanity
- What is a panic attack? How to spot the signs and be able to tackle it
- E.coli contamination alert over tap water in thousands of homes
- What is PTSD? Symptoms, causes and how you can get help for it
- The Serpent And The Rainbow- The Frontier of Death - 3
- ‘This illness alone is a pandemic’: Sickle cell patients hit by distressing delay in treatment during Covid-19
- SIX out of every 1 million develop heart inflammation after a 2nd dose
- Doctors in Lithuania remove nails and screws from man's stomach
- New Covid-19 pill in Germany exceeds all expectations
- How MDMA and magic mushrooms could be used to treat mental illness
- Reduce paracetamol use, experts tell pregnant women
- A doctor is raising awareness for ovarian cancer symptoms after hers were mistaken for a UTI
- Normal blood testing to resume after NHS supplies bolstered by US stocks
- What's the rarest blood type?
- Oxygen therapy may slow Alzheimer’s, study finds
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our People-4-King Leopold's Ghost
- What are the signs of dyspraxia and do you have it?