Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
Austria is to become the first country in Europe to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory by law and has announced a full national lockdown from Monday, amid a fourth wave sweeping the continent.
Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said the coronavirus lockdown would run for a "maximum of 20 days".
He also announced it would be a "requirement to get vaccinated" in Austria from 1 February.
Follow live COVID updates
Students will have to go back into home schooling, restaurants and most stores will be closed and cultural events will be canceled.
"We do not want a fifth wave," Mr Schallenberg said.
"Nor do we want a sixth or seventh wave. This is very painful."
The measure to make vaccination compulsory among the adult population will attract controversy, with Austria only the fourth country in the world to do so - after Indonesia, Micronesia and Turkmenistan.
© Reuters Police officers check the vaccination status of shoppers at the entrance of a store
Mr Schallenberg said: "Whipped up by radical anti-vaxxers, by fake news, too many among us didn't get vaccinated. The results are overcrowded intensive care units and enormous suffering."
He said the government therefore took "a very difficult decision...that we will quickly introduce a nationwide vaccine mandate" from 1 February.
The nation had already introduced a series of strict measures along with Germany and Slovakia in the weeks leading up to Christmas, as a debate intensifies over whether vaccines alone are enough to tackle coronavirus.
Around 66% of Austria's population is fully vaccinated, one of the lowest rates in western Europe.
Its infection rate is among the highest in the continent, with a seven-day incidence of 971.5 per 100,000 people - and daily cases keep setting records.
The country of 8.9 million has reported more than 10,000 new infection cases daily, while hospitals have been overwhelmed with many new COVID-19 patients and deaths have also been rising again.
The national lockdown will initially last for 10 days, after which the effects will be assessed and the measures extended to a maximum of 20 days if cases have not gone down enough.
Two states in Austria - Salzburg and Upper Austria - had already triggered a range of restrictions, with the rules extended to apply to vaccinated people and a full lockdown from next week that would see schools shut and a curfew
Last week, Europe accounted for more than half of the seven-day average of infections globally and about half of the latest deaths, according to a tally by Reuters news agency.
It comes after German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced fresh curbs on public life for those who have not had a vaccine in areas where hospitals are filling dangerously fast with coronavirus patients.
And German health minister Jens Spahn today hinted that the country could follow Austria in announcing a full lockdown.
"We are now in a situation ... where we can't rule anything out," he said.
Greece has also imposed more restrictions on unvaccinated people following a recent surge in cases - barring them from all indoor spaces, such as cinemas, museums, and gyms.
The death rate from the virus has reached its highest level in six months, as roughly one-third of Greece's population remains unvaccinated.
Reference: Sky News;
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 36 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels
- Blood test could identify diabetes 'almost 20 YEARS before it strikes'
- The Serpent and The Rainbow - The Frontier Of death - 4
- Whistleblowers reveal chaotic and ‘dangerous’ working conditions at lab behind Covid testing fiasco
- Hospital worker admits murdering two women and sexually assaulting nearly 80 corpses
- Risk of debilitating nerve syndrome almost four times higher from Covid than vaccine
- Strictly champion Joanne Clifton is diagnosed with osteoarthritis
- ‘Can menopause affect your teeth?’ – and all your other questions answered
- Bowel cancer symptoms: How to see early signs and screening explained after Adele Roberts announces diagnosis
- 'Awful' infection rising in England that causes 'irreversible' symptoms warns doctor
- Tuberculosis deaths rise for first time in over a decade due to impact of Covid pandemic, says WHO
- Woman denied liver transplant because she refuses Covid vaccine