These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
A neuroscientist has explained four key traits linked with psychopathy.
During a virtual seminar from The Science and Information Exchange, Georgetown University psychology professor and neuroscientist Abigail Marsh explained that the illness exists on a spectrum and shared four characteristics: pitilessness, remorselessness, an inability to love, and insensitivity to the possibility of harm, linked with the condition.
Speaking about pitilessness, she said: “When someone close to a psychopath feels sad or fearful, they can’t understand the emotion, because it’s something they don’t feel themselves,” she said.
© Getty Images/iStockphoto mental health child.jpg
On love, she said: “They do not experience close, loving bonds with other people in quite the same way other people do. More than one child or adolescent I’ve interviewed said they don’t love anybody, not their family, not their friends.” She added that they may think of loved ones as “associates” who can help them but are beneath them.
“They’re really insensitive to the possibility of future harm. In the words of one girl we studied, ‘Nothing scares me, nothing,’” she added.
Finally, speaking about their lack of remorse, she added that she studied a boy whose mother checked in at a mental health facility due to the stress of caring for him. When Marsh asked the boy how he felt, he said it didn’t affect him.
“He said, ‘The things I do hurt her, but she doesn’t really say how much, so it doesn’t have any effect on me.’ He was blaming his mum for his total absence of remorse, for all the negative effects that had occurred because of his behavior,” Marsh said.
So that’s psychopaths, in a nutshell.
Reference: Indy 100: Kate Plummer
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 22 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- High cholesterol symptoms: Two signs to spot when 'looking at your face' - doctor's advice
- What is Guillain-Barre Syndrome? Everything we know about the rare autoimmune disorder
- What are tonsil stones?
- Diabetic Scots lawyer died after 'faulty' insulin pump delivered four days of insulin in an hour
- Omicron causes just a quarter of deaths as previous waves, first data suggests
- Il Divo singer Carlos Marín reportedly in ‘induced coma’ as group cancel UK Christmas tour
- What can I do about burning stomach pains?
- Princess Charlene 'recognised she needed help' after royal family staged 'intervention'
- A 10-minute at-home breathing exercise to rapidly help reduce stress
- The inconvenient truth about antidepressants
- Omicron symptoms: Seven early symptoms to spot and why they differ from the Delta variant
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels