Omicron symptoms: Seven early symptoms to spot and why they differ from the Delta variant
As the world scrambles to contain the new variant, some are expressing initial relief on anecdotal reports from South Africa that it may cause only mild illness. With weeks ahead before scientists know more, what are the seven early symptoms reported in the omicron variant and why do they differ from the delta variant?
Dr Angelique Coetzee, chair of the South African Medical Association, first raised the alarm regarding the new strain.
She said the COVID-19 symptoms linked to Omicron have been "extremely mild".
Speaking to the BBC on Sunday, November 28, Dr Coetzee discussed how she saw a patient who presented unusual symptoms which differed from those associated with the Delta variant - the most globally dominant strain at present.
She explained that a male patient, around the age of 33, told the doctor he was "extremely tired for the past few days".
She added that patient didn't have a sore throat but described it as a "scratchy throat".
Symptoms pertaining to the Omicron strain, can include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Body aches
- Night sweats
- Runny nose
- Scratchy throat.
mild. "We are seeing patients present with a fever, night sweats and a lot of body pains," he said.
Patients presenting with Omicron symptoms also did not have a persistent cough or loss of taste or smell - symptoms commonly associated with previous strains of COVID-19.
One reason for such different symptoms compared to the Delta variant could be due to changes in the way the virus interacts with the immune cells.
Many common symptoms of illness, such as fever or a runny nose, are primarily caused by our immune responses to infections rather than direct damage by viruses or bacteria.
Differences in our immune responses may also explain why two individuals don't necessarily experience the same symptoms if infected with the same virus or variant.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said it will take weeks to understand how the variant may affect diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines.
Omicron symptoms: Seven signs
Dr Coetzee's initial observations are only based on a very small number of cases and experts are worried about Omicron's large number of mutations.
Preliminary evidence suggests the strain has an increased risk of reinfection, according to the WHO.
Daily case numbers for Covid in the UK have been rising since early November.
This Saturday two cases of the new Omicron variant were reported in the UK.
Travel restrictions have been expanded to include several South African countries where the new variant is known to be found.
People known to be infected, and their families, have been put into isolation.
Reference: Daily Express: Jessica Knibbs
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 25 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- High cholesterol symptoms: Two signs to spot when 'looking at your face' - doctor's advice
- What is Guillain-Barre Syndrome? Everything we know about the rare autoimmune disorder
- What are tonsil stones?
- Diabetic Scots lawyer died after 'faulty' insulin pump delivered four days of insulin in an hour
- Omicron causes just a quarter of deaths as previous waves, first data suggests
- Il Divo singer Carlos Marín reportedly in ‘induced coma’ as group cancel UK Christmas tour
- What can I do about burning stomach pains?
- Princess Charlene 'recognised she needed help' after royal family staged 'intervention'
- A 10-minute at-home breathing exercise to rapidly help reduce stress
- The inconvenient truth about antidepressants
- Omicron symptoms: Seven early symptoms to spot and why they differ from the Delta variant
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels