A 10-minute at-home breathing exercise to rapidly help reduce stress
Breathing exercises have long been recommended as an effective method for reducing stress and anxiety. Practising slower, deeper breaths can help to slow your heart rate and mimic a state of relaxation - and is also recommended by the NHS as a way to help ease the symptoms brought on by coronavirus.
An increasing number of people are suffering from prolonged effects of Covid-19, with one in 10 people surveyed still experiencing symptoms after 12 weeks - or, in many cases, far longer. This is known as Long Covid, or Post-Covid Syndrome, and symptoms are wide-ranging and fluctuating - from breathlessness and chronic fatigue, to 'brain fog', anxiety and stress, according to the NHS.
For those experiencing breathlessness and anxiety - either independently or as one as result of the other - it can be upsetting and alarming. But, the NHS advises that relaxed and gentle breathing exercises can help to manage and stabilise long-term breathlessness.
Richard Phibbs Whether you're worrying about Covid or simply need to take a moment for yourself
Somatic movement coach and yoga teacher Nahid de Belgeonne, founder of The Human Method, has had several clients attending her monthly breathing classes who have been recovering from Covid-19.
"Breathing exercises can help to reduce shortness of breath, improve lung capacity and manage respiratory complications," she explains, "and can also reduce negative impacts on your mental health".
If you're experiencing symptoms of Long Covid, de Belgeonne recommends "one to one sessions rather than classes, as the effects of Long Covid can vary from person to person".
The NICE guidelines for Long Covid sufferers are to avoid graded exercise (any exercise that increases in intensity), which means that general fitness classes should be avoided until you are clear of all symptoms.
"The very, very first thing that I teach everyone is to slow your breathing down," de Belgeonne says. "There's a particular frequency of breathing that can trigger a relaxation response within both the brain and the body, and it's six breaths per minute."
In the exclusive video above, de Belgeonne runs through some gentle breathing exercises that you can try from home to help rapidly reduce stress and self-regulate your emotions.
Reference: : Bazar: The Editors
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 19 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- High cholesterol symptoms: Two signs to spot when 'looking at your face' - doctor's advice
- What is Guillain-Barre Syndrome? Everything we know about the rare autoimmune disorder
- What are tonsil stones?
- Diabetic Scots lawyer died after 'faulty' insulin pump delivered four days of insulin in an hour
- Omicron causes just a quarter of deaths as previous waves, first data suggests
- Il Divo singer Carlos Marín reportedly in ‘induced coma’ as group cancel UK Christmas tour
- What can I do about burning stomach pains?
- Princess Charlene 'recognised she needed help' after royal family staged 'intervention'
- A 10-minute at-home breathing exercise to rapidly help reduce stress
- The inconvenient truth about antidepressants
- Omicron symptoms: Seven early symptoms to spot and why they differ from the Delta variant
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels