Diabetes drug recalled after being found to contain cancer-causing chemical
A batch of the diabetes drug metformin has been recalled after it was found to have unacceptable levels of a cancer-causing chemical impurity.
One batch of an oral solution of the drug - involving 10,452 "units" of medicine - is being recalled by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) after it was found to contain a nitrosamine impurity "above accepted levels".
Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) has been identified as a risk factor in the development of certain cancers.
Patients do not need to do anything as the recall has only been issued to pharmacies and wholesalers.
The MHRA said patients should not stop any treatments without consulting their doctor or pharmacist.
It added there is no evidence to suggest patients have been harmed.
© Corbis via Getty Images Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) has been identified as a risk factor in the development of certain cancers
The medicines regulator said: "During testing prior to batch release, levels of the impurity NDMA in batch number 0LL0018 of metformin oral solution were found to be within acceptable limits.
"However routine monitoring of the batch while on the market showed that levels of NDMA were no longer acceptable at nine months."
© Corbis via Getty Images One batch of an oral solution of the drug - involving 10,452
No other batches have been found to be affected, it said.
Dr Alison Cave, MHRA chief safety officer, said: "Patient safety is at the heart of everything we do.
"This recall of one batch of metformin oral solution is a precautionary measure to prevent further exposure to the nitrosamine impurity.
"There is no evidence to date that this impurity has caused any harm to patients.
"Individuals who have metformin oral solution from this batch at home should continue to take their medication.
"It is very important to speak to your doctor or pharmacist before stopping any treatment - they can address any concerns you may have and can advise you on the best course of action.
"Healthcare professionals should check their stock to quarantine and return any units from this batch to their supplier using their supplier's approved process."
Reference: Mirror: Abigail O'Leary
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Children of the Sun-3
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 53 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- Tuberculosis deaths rise for first time in over a decade due to impact of Covid pandemic, says WHO
- Woman denied liver transplant because she refuses Covid vaccine
- Everything you need to know about urinary tract infections in old age
- New treatment destroys head and neck cancer tumours in trial
- Vitamin D deficiency: The surprising supplement that could stave off the condition
- Tolerance of cannabis is growing just as scientists show that it can cause insanity
- What is a panic attack? How to spot the signs and be able to tackle it
- E.coli contamination alert over tap water in thousands of homes
- What is PTSD? Symptoms, causes and how you can get help for it
- The Serpent And The Rainbow- The Frontier of Death - 3
- ‘This illness alone is a pandemic’: Sickle cell patients hit by distressing delay in treatment during Covid-19
- SIX out of every 1 million develop heart inflammation after a 2nd dose
- Doctors in Lithuania remove nails and screws from man's stomach
- New Covid-19 pill in Germany exceeds all expectations
- How MDMA and magic mushrooms could be used to treat mental illness
- Reduce paracetamol use, experts tell pregnant women
- A doctor is raising awareness for ovarian cancer symptoms after hers were mistaken for a UTI
- Normal blood testing to resume after NHS supplies bolstered by US stocks
- What's the rarest blood type?
- Oxygen therapy may slow Alzheimer’s, study finds
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our People-4-King Leopold's Ghost
- What are the signs of dyspraxia and do you have it?