'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
One of the hallmarks of a Covid infection is loss of the sense of smell, which often affects the sense of taste too.
Not that Covid is the first virus to do this – many upper respiratory viruses do the same thing, including the flu virus.
Most people regain their sense of smell in a few weeks but some never do. Smell loss is due to damage to the sensors in the nose lining. But is there a remedy to help them heal?
Previous research from Germany has shown the potential benefit of vitamin A, and researchers at the University of East Anglia and James Paget University Hospital will now explore how this treatment helps repair damaged nose tissues.
Smell-loss expert Prof Carl Philpott from UEA’s Norwich Medical School, said: “The huge rise in smell loss caused by Covid-19 has created worldwide demand for treatment.
And around one in 10 people who experience smell loss report their sense of smell has not returned to normal four weeks after falling ill.
“It’s a big problem, and our previous research has shown the impact of smell loss – including depression, anxiety and isolation, as well as risk of danger from hazards such as gas and spoiled food, and changes in weight due to reduced appetite.
Getty Images/iStockphoto getty
“We want to find out whether there is an increase in the size and activity of damaged smell pathways in patients’ brains when they are treated with vitamin A nasal drops.
“This would show recovery of the damage caused by common viral infections, including Covid-19, in the nose.”
Patients will either receive a 12-week course of nasal vitamin A drops or inactive drops, and have their brains scanned before and after treatment.
The scans will be compared to those of a control group who haven’t been treated with vitamin A drops.
Prof Philpott said: “The patients will be smelling distinctive odours, roses and rotten eggs, while special MRI brain scans are taken.
“We will look for changes in the size of the olfactory bulb – an area above the nose where the smell nerves join together and connect to the brain.
“We will also look at activity in areas of the brain linked to recognising smells,” he added.
To take part in this trial, patients need to be referred to The Smell and Taste Clinic at the James Paget University Hospital by their GP.
Recruitment is expected to begin in December 2021.
Reference: Mirror: Miriam Stoppard
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 25 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- High cholesterol symptoms: Two signs to spot when 'looking at your face' - doctor's advice
- What is Guillain-Barre Syndrome? Everything we know about the rare autoimmune disorder
- What are tonsil stones?
- Diabetic Scots lawyer died after 'faulty' insulin pump delivered four days of insulin in an hour
- Omicron causes just a quarter of deaths as previous waves, first data suggests
- Il Divo singer Carlos Marín reportedly in ‘induced coma’ as group cancel UK Christmas tour
- What can I do about burning stomach pains?
- Princess Charlene 'recognised she needed help' after royal family staged 'intervention'
- A 10-minute at-home breathing exercise to rapidly help reduce stress
- The inconvenient truth about antidepressants
- Omicron symptoms: Seven early symptoms to spot and why they differ from the Delta variant
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels