Nigerian politician and wife who ‘plotted to harvest man’s kidney for their daughter’ to face trial
ANigerian politician and his wife accused of plotting to harvest a man’s kidney for their daughter are set to face trial at the Old Bailey.
Ike Ekweremadu, 60, a district senator and lawyer, and his wife Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, 55, are alleged to have transported the 21-year-old man from Nigeria to the UK.
Prosecutors claim they planned to have his kidney removed so it could be given to their daughter.
The man is said to have refused to consent to the procedure after undergoing tests at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, northwest London.
The Ekweremadus allegedly treated him as a slave before he escaped and went to Staines police station in Surrey.
The couple were arrested at Heathrow Airport on 21 June after arriving on a flight from Turkey. They appeared in the dock at Westminster Magistrates’ Court over the charges on Thursday.
Ike Ekweremadu is charged with conspiracy to arrange or facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation, while his wife is charged with arranging or facilitating travel of another person with a view to exploitation.
The couple were not asked to enter pleas, but the court heard they have indicated they will plead not guilty.
They deny the allegations, claim that there was a criminal conspiracy, and will say no exploitation occurred, it was said.
Deputy chief magistrate Tan Ikram remanded them in custody ahead of their next appearance at the Old Bailey, for a plea and trial preparation hearing, on 4 August.
Reference: The Independent: Chiara Giordano
No thoughts on “Nigerian politician and wife who ‘plotted to harvest man’s kidney for their daughter’ to face trial”
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
Who's On Line?
We have 92 guests and no members online
Ad Agency Remote
Articles - Latest
- Everything you need to know about mangosteen
- Should I worry about my clicking joints – and stop cracking my knuckles?
- The Children Of the Sun-Asia-4
- THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF MUSTARD
- Prickly heat - expert shares four signs you have heat rash and how to treat it
- Suffering with eye eczema? Experts reveal how to treat the symptoms
- Peanut Butter Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
- Hypertension - High Blood Pressure - Stress
- What Is Spelt, and Is It Good for You?
- Groundbreaking treatment helps repair vision after eye injury
- The Benefits of Eating Groats
- Five signs when walking that could indicate Lewy body dementia - seek medical help
- What Are Chickpeas and Are They Healthy?
- Six new medicines approved including first treatment for rare heart condition
- Peanuts 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
- What is mouth and oropharyngeal cancer?
- Certain fruits eaten an 'hour' before bed may 'significantly increase' sleep efficiency
- Scientists sequence Beethoven’s genome using locks of his hair
- Lemongrass: Expert opinions and healthy portions