Venom from one of Brazil's largest snakes could reduce COVID's ability to multiply
Snake venom could be used as a tool in the fight against coronavirus, a study suggests.
Brazilian researchers have found that a molecule in the venom of a type of snake slowed down the reproduction of coronavirus in monkey cells.
The discovery could be a possible first step towards the creation of a drug to combat the virus that causes COVID-19.
Coronaviruses are a large group of viruses that cause respiratory infections. These can range from the common cold to more serious diseases.
© Reuters A jararacussu snake's venom has been used in a study against coronavirus.
COVID-19 is caused by a new form of the virus known as SARS-CoV-2.
The study showed a molecule produced by the jararacussu pit viper, one of the largest snakes in Brazil, reduced the disease's ability to multiply by 75%.
One of the scientists involved in the research, Rafael Guido, said: "We were able to show that that component of the snake's venom was able to inhibit a very important protein of the virus.
"It's the first step in a long journey... the process is a very long one.
"A component of the venom demonstrated in this study is that it has development potential. It's a long road, we have taken the first steps."
© Reuters The study showed a molecule produced by the jararacussu pit viper reduced the disease's ability to multiply by 75%
Published in the scientific journal, Molecules, the research found the fragment is a peptide, or chain of amino acids, that can connect to an enzyme of the coronavirus called PLPro.
PLPro is vital to the reproduction of the virus without hurting other cells.
The jararacussu can grow up to 2m (6ft) long and is found in Brazil, the coastal Atlantic Forest, Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina.
Mr Guido added that scientists are "afraid people will go hunting for the jararacussu all over Brazil, thinking it will save the world or themselves, their family".
He said: "That's not the case. Is this an important discovery? Without a doubt it is, but chasing after the animal is not how it will be resolved."
"The component that was discovered is just a fraction from inside the venom, it is not the venom itself that will cure coronavirus at this time."
Researchers will next evaluate the efficiency of different doses of the molecule and whether it can prevent the virus from entering cells in the first place, according to a statement from the State University of Sao Paulo (Unesp), which was also involved in the research.
They hope to test the substance in human cells but gave no timeline.
Reference: Sky News:
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Children of the Sun-3
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 70 guests and no members online
Articles - Latest
- Tuberculosis deaths rise for first time in over a decade due to impact of Covid pandemic, says WHO
- Woman denied liver transplant because she refuses Covid vaccine
- Everything you need to know about urinary tract infections in old age
- New treatment destroys head and neck cancer tumours in trial
- Vitamin D deficiency: The surprising supplement that could stave off the condition
- Tolerance of cannabis is growing just as scientists show that it can cause insanity
- What is a panic attack? How to spot the signs and be able to tackle it
- E.coli contamination alert over tap water in thousands of homes
- What is PTSD? Symptoms, causes and how you can get help for it
- The Serpent And The Rainbow- The Frontier of Death - 3
- ‘This illness alone is a pandemic’: Sickle cell patients hit by distressing delay in treatment during Covid-19
- SIX out of every 1 million develop heart inflammation after a 2nd dose
- Doctors in Lithuania remove nails and screws from man's stomach
- New Covid-19 pill in Germany exceeds all expectations
- How MDMA and magic mushrooms could be used to treat mental illness
- Reduce paracetamol use, experts tell pregnant women
- A doctor is raising awareness for ovarian cancer symptoms after hers were mistaken for a UTI
- Normal blood testing to resume after NHS supplies bolstered by US stocks
- What's the rarest blood type?
- Oxygen therapy may slow Alzheimer’s, study finds
- The Traders are Kidnapping Our People-4-King Leopold's Ghost
- What are the signs of dyspraxia and do you have it?