Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels
High cholesterol tends to be a symptom free medical condition, but the common condition can have a variety of more serious implications, according to experts.
High cholesterol can cause blockages in blood vessels, strokes and heart attacks.
Therefore the location of the blockages can have potentially life-threatening implications.
The condition can be caused by a variety things that tend to stem from repeated unhealthy behaviour.
The NHS say the condition can be caused by: "Eating fatty food, not exercising enough, being overweight, smoking and drinking alcohol."
They say it can it can be genetic but cholesterol levels can be reduced by adopting a healthy diet and doing regular exercise.
"Moderate aerobic activity means you're working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat."
© Getty Images/iStockphoto Statins may be prescribed to tackle particularly high levels of cholesterol
But what are the signs you need to take action against high cholesterol?
A warning sign of high cholesterol can be painful fingers and toes.
It is thought the pain is caused by an accumulation of cholesterol in the vessels of the legs and hands.
Another symptom commonly associated with the condition is a tingling sensation in the toes and fingers.
Speaking to the Express, Dr Rahul Agrawal: "everyone needs to monitor their cholesterol levels".
"Interruptions in the blood flow to certain parts of the body makes a tingling sensation in hands and legs,
"The high cholesterol levels in the blood make the blood flow thick and affect the normal flow of blood in the nerves and cause tingling."
Fatty lumps can form under the skin, which can appear in the hands and feet.
These fatty lumps are known xanthoma and can vary in size, from the size of a grape all the way down to that of a pinhead.
It is understood they can often appear in yellow or orange, and look like a flat bump under the skin.
They could be tender or sensitive to the touch.
They can also appear on the elbows, buttocks or knees.
Although doctors can diagnose the condition you may need a skin biopsy.
Meanwhile, a lipid blood test can inform patients whether they have high cholesterol levels.
It is thought that xanthomas can reduce if cholesterol levels are reduced.
For dangerous levels of cholesterol, doctors are likely to prescribe statins, which work by slowing down the production of cholesterol in the liver.
Reference: Mirror: Harry Thompson
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- The Children of the Sun-3
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
- The Children of the Sun - 4
- Great Kings and Queens of Africa
- Africa - A Brief History - 2
- Enslavement to Emancipation
- Medicines Machines and Ignorance-2
Who's On Line?
We have 71 guests and one member online
Articles - Latest
- B12 deficiency: The sign around the eyes that may be warning that levels are low
- Cancer cells strengthen by sucking mitochondria out of immune cells using ‘tiny tentacles’, study finds
- Huge spike in people left to die at home and not found for ‘weeks’ during pandemic
- NHS trust fined record £2.5m over patient deaths
- 'Vitamin A could hold key to restoring sense of smell after Covid'
- Diabetes: The unusual sign of high blood sugar in the eyes - ‘Lesser-known symptom'
- These are four defining traits of a psychopath, according to a neuroscientist
- Hero NHS surgeon dies of Covid after spending months away from family
- DWP to offer extra PIP support to these 5 medical categories - are you eligible?
- Austria to enter full national lockdown as fourth COVID wave sweeps Europe
- Worrying signs of high cholesterol on your toes and fingers that show dangerous levels
- Blood test could identify diabetes 'almost 20 YEARS before it strikes'
- The Serpent and The Rainbow - The Frontier Of death - 4
- Whistleblowers reveal chaotic and ‘dangerous’ working conditions at lab behind Covid testing fiasco
- Hospital worker admits murdering two women and sexually assaulting nearly 80 corpses
- Risk of debilitating nerve syndrome almost four times higher from Covid than vaccine
- Strictly champion Joanne Clifton is diagnosed with osteoarthritis
- ‘Can menopause affect your teeth?’ – and all your other questions answered
- Bowel cancer symptoms: How to see early signs and screening explained after Adele Roberts announces diagnosis
- 'Awful' infection rising in England that causes 'irreversible' symptoms warns doctor
- Tuberculosis deaths rise for first time in over a decade due to impact of Covid pandemic, says WHO
- Woman denied liver transplant because she refuses Covid vaccine