Five signs when walking that could indicate Lewy body dementia - seek medical help
Dementia is a syndrome, or a group of symptoms, linked to the ongoing decline of the brain. More common the older you get, it often manifests as issues such as memory loss and behavioural changes. However, there can be physical signs to look out for.
Also known as dementia with Lewy bodies, it tends to progress slowly.
It usually only affects those over the age of 65 and worsens gradually over many years.
Compared with other types of dementia, memory is less affected in those with Lewy body.
Therefore keeping an eye out for physical behaviour could be key in getting someone diagnosed.
According to Dementia UK, there are five symptoms of Lewy body dementia that will be noticeable when someone walks.
- Slow movement
- Difficulty walking
- Appearing rigid
- Problems with balance, leading to falls.
f you or someone you know experiences any of these symptoms, especially if combined with other signs of dementia, you should seek medical advice as soon as possible.
Dementia UK explains more about Lewy body dementia: "Lewy body dementia is a progressive, complex and challenging condition which is thought to account for 10 to 15 percent of all those with dementia.
"In the early stages it is often mistaken for Alzheimer's disease and can be diagnosed wrongly.
"Lewy body dementia is caused by abnormal clumps of protein (called Lewy bodies) gathering inside brain cells.
"These Lewy bodies can build up in many parts of the brain but particularly in the areas responsible for thought, movement, visual perception and regulating sleep and alertness."
Other symptoms of Lewy body dementia include:
- Recurring visual hallucinations
- Disturbed sleep
- Sudden changes and fluctuations in alertness
- Tremors - usually in the hands while at rest
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Difficulties with swallowing
- Mood andbehaviourchanges such anxiety and depression
- Delusions and paranoia
- Impaired sense of smell.
It can also cause changes in blood pressure and body temperature.
Currently there are several paths of treatment available to people with Lewy body dementia.
"People with Lewy body dementia may be offered medication and other interventions to help with their symptoms," Dementia UK says.
"These will not stop or reverse the course of the disease but can improve the quality of life for them and their families and carers.
"Some of the medications used to treat Alzheimer's disease can help with the cognitive symptoms of Lewy body dementia and can help reduce distressing hallucinations, concentration and memory problems."
Other treatments are focused on symptom control and can include things such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, counselling and cognitive stimulation therapy.
Reference: Daily Express: Fiona Callingham
No thoughts on “Five signs when walking that could indicate Lewy body dementia - seek medical help”
Articles - Most Read
- LIVER DIS-EASE AND GALL BLADDER DIS-EASE
- African Wholistics - Medicines, Machines and Ignorance
- African Holistics - Seduced by Ignorance and Research
- African Wholistics -The Overlooked Revolution
- The Children of the Sun-3
- Kidney Stones-African Holistic Health
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-3
- 'Tortured' and shackled pupils freed from Nigerian Islamic school
- The Serpent and the RainBow-The Jaguar - 2
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-2
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-4
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-5
- King Leopold's Ghost - Introduction
- African Wholistics - Medicine
- PART ONE: DIS-EASE TREATMENT AND HEALTH-6
- The Mystery System
- The Black Pharaohs Nubian Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
Who's On Line?
We have 157 guests and no members online
Ad Agency Remote
Articles - Latest
- 7 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Pinto Beans
- Surgeon compared to Jimmy Savile in ‘harrowing’ report on sexual violence in NHS
- Top 5 health benefits of liver
- Five lesser-known symptoms of breast cancer that aren't feeling a lump in chest
- Top 5 health benefits of red cabbage
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin rushed to the hospital
- Raspberry: Health Tips From Nutrition Professionals
- The plight of King Charles moves us, but we soon tire of feeling sorry for the poor
- Salmonella outbreak linked to melon kills 18 more as cases spread
- Top 5 health benefits of aubergines
- What every man should know before they take testosterone
- If your eyes are persistently sore, you could be dealing with this lesser-known skin condition
- These are the best ways to cook with quince
- Celiac disease: Causes, symptoms and treatments
- 6 Effective Natural Methods for Lowering Cholesterol Levels without Side Effects
- BLOOD-THINNING FOODS, DRINKS, AND SUPPLEMENTS
- Herbal anticoagulant therapy: A Review on anticoagulant property of plants
- Moth Bean/Matki: Health Benefits, Nutrition
- What is EDS?